Monday, August 31, 2009

Love You Grandpa

I found this post I wrote on our family blog a couple of years ago (December 22, 2007) when we were told Grandpa Henderson woulnd't make it through that night... he is the definition of a survivor and had a long journey. He passed away on Friday evening and he will be forever missed and loved. I am so grateful for my knowledge of eternal life and I know that the reunion he is having with those he loves who have passed on before is a sweet one. One of my favorite moments with Grandpa Henderson was when I was almost 16 and we were having Christmas vacation at our house in Pleasant View (we lived in MN but still had our house there). We wanted to take a family picture in front of the Christmas tree and we were all there smiling and all of a sudden Grandpa started yelling "Somebody moved the button! Where is the button?!" I just remember laughing so hard. He was such a cute man. His funeral is going to be this weekend and I am definitely not looking forward to saying goodbye...

I love this memory also... Here is the post from a couple of years ago:




All of our hearts and prayers are with Grandpa and the family tonight, I'm sure. He started to sing us his favorite song tonight, but couldn't get through but a few words... I thought I would share the lyrics with you. This was the song him and Grandma danced to at their wedding and it touched the hearts of all of us in the room when he actually began to sing tonight through all of his pain.


My Prayer
The Platters


When the twilight is gone and no songbirds are singing


When the twilight is gone you come into my heart


And here in my heart you will stay while I pray


My prayer is to linger with you


At the end of the day in a dream that's divine


My prayer is a rapture in blue


With the world far away and your lips close to mine


Tonight while our hearts are aglow


Oh tell me the words that I'm longing to know


My prayer and the answer you give


May they still be the same for as long as we live


That you'll always be there at the end of my prayer

Sleep well tonight Grandpa... Our prayers are with you.

3 comments:

mamasteph said...

I'm so grateful I was able to say goodbye over the summer. He was an amazing grandpa and I have many, many fond memories as well. I know he is happy, and that makes me happy.

Aria said...

I'm sorry to hear of his passing, Mary Rose. I loved meeting your sweet grandma last summer, and I'm sure your grandpa was wonderful, too. Thinking of you and your family. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

your classroom is so cute. I bet you are the best teacher. I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I hope you guys are doing well. I am not working in AF anymore, but I would love to come meet you there sometime. Lets stop talking about it and lets do it.