Friday, September 05, 2008

Are you educated?

So the first week of classes has come and gone and I have learned some fascinating things from some of my professors. One question which has been asked by a few of my professors is does recieving a diploma mean you have been educated? I thought this was an interesting question to ponder.
One professor said that too often we get less than we pay for with a college education. That really made me think. Am I becoming educated throughout my years at this university or am I simply doing what needs to be done to get by? I'm not really sure how to decipher my previous college years, but I do know that I can make a difference now; this semester. I am going to get the most out of my education so that I can truly feel like I have been educated.
So this leads me to something I want to ask my friends and family who read this blog. What do you think it means to be educated?

6 comments:

Meg said...

Mary Rose,

I ran across your blog through madeline's and I have to say that I LOVE your background! It is super super cute! You should check out our blog sometime- daveandmegclark.blogspot.com

kent and liz said...

I have had this same thought before... "was I really being educated throughout my education years? Or was I simply going through the motions to pass my classes?" It is a totally interesting thought and really does make you realize that there is SO MUCH to be learned, we just have to want to learn. P.S. I love the song that plays when I open your blog!

M {3 said...

I think I like the definition from the encyclopedia; "EDUCATED: based on some knowledge of fact." We are educated daily in some way based on new information that comes into our lives. Truly though I think the biggest part of being educated in college is what we learn about ourselves; Our strengths, weaknesses, stamina, determination, acceptances and how open we are to new things in our lives. I have always loved watching my children become "educated". You make me proud.

Nina said...

In the field that I chose so much of being good at my job, is not what you know, but how you practice what you know. I would say I gained most of my education while I shrived to improve myself each day at work. My education gave me a lot of information that enjoyed soaking up, but I continued to get better and better at the skills and more familiar with developmental milestones until shortly before I quit. I agree with your mom; we are educated every day. I love learning!!

mamasteph said...

I like Mom's definition. I don't think just going to college educates you. I think education encompasses everything that we learn each day. I am educated daily on how I can be a better mom, sister, daughter etc. by learning from my mistakes and welcoming advice!

Hair Goddess said...

I'm not sure... because I enjoy Nuggets, Mullets and swears so I am for sure not educated! :)